Is this a Warning of worse to come? Why the Earthquake in Pakistan? Oedipus the King was the Cause of the Sickness in Thebes: A CIA Agent Rules#Islamabad, mocking Islam by Kaukab Siddique, Ph.D
I was numbed by the news pouring in from Pakistan. My usual way to understand such tragedies is to take refuge in my 21st century rational/empirical self. These things happen owing to the rules of physics and the contours of geography, I told myself, and all we can do is to write checks, help the survivors, and work for improved health and transportation facilities.
Somehow, I could not rest content with the explanation offered by my cynical, americanized self. So, I asked a sage. The answer I got was lengthy but I will summarize his main points here:
* Don't you notice the date? he asked. It is four years, almost exactly, since the U.S. launched its storm of death and destruction on Afghanistan in 2001. Pakistan betrayed its Taliban allies and supported the flotilla of B-52s and F-16s which cut the defenseless Afghans to pieces. Did Pakistan ever do TAWBA for its dastardly act of betrayal? NO!
*Don't you notice that it's Ramadan? The Americans bombed Afghanistan during Ramadan. A number of mosques were hit. Your New Trend reported NPR's report that a mosque was bombed DURING TARAVEEH because a suspected Al-Qaidah member was also praying there. You Pakistanis kept praying your 20 rakats of Taraveeh according to Hanafi fiqh as if it was peace time, regardless of the slaughter across the frontier.
*[Please, I tried to interrupt the sage: You are too harsh, but he continued:] Do you notice who is the leader of Pakistan?: A General working for the CIA who calls Islamic students in medressas "foreigners." Do you not know that throwing out the guests of Allah who are seeking the knowledge of Islam invites the wrath of Allah?
* You Pakistanis have not done anything which would remove Musharraf. Your General is so americanized that he did not get angry even about the "flushing" of the Qur'an. Every day he mocks Islam and all you do is demonstrate and go home. How many people have you sacrificed to remove him? None! You are therefore responsible for his stay and for what happened in Guantanamo Bay because of him.
* [O Allah have mercy on us: I intrerjected.] [Now he turned on me.] You are a professor of World Literature? Have you not read Oedipus Rex by Sophocles? Your country's General knows there is sickness, corruption, nepotism and betrayal in Pakistan but he can't recognize that like Oedipus, HE IS THE CAUSE of the SICKNESS. People die when there is corruption at the top. Even the "primitive" Greeks knew that!
* [But O sage: Our children, our girls are dying in the earthquake, I protested, but he was merciless.] Remember the winter of 2001-2002, when your General's American allies put 1500 Taliban prisoners into storage containers where they froze to death? Pakistan did not even call for an inquiry into the ghastly tragedy.
* Across the frontier in Kashmir, Muslim women were being raped by the Indian army. What was Pakistan's response: It wanted to be friends with India!
* You have Islamic parties in Pakistan. Did any one of them call for a march on Kashmir to save the women from being raped? Remember Muhammad ibn Qasim who brought Islam to India when ONE Muslim woman was kidnaped?
* [O sage, I protested, that is old history, and we are not capable of that. Why should our children be killed by Allah, if that is your logic? He looked at me with red in his eyes.] When a Muslim woman is raped, the throne of Allah shakes, because her honor is more precious than the Ka'aba itself, he thundered.
* And do you not notice that 200 of your "brave"soldiers have also been killed in the quake? he asked. Would it not have been better for them to have given their lives fighting the Hindus or the Americans? Instead their job was to kill Muslims in Waziristan, especially refugees who had escaped from the terror regime in Uzbekistan.
* [But why our children, I insisted. This can't be from Allah!] When such warning comes from Allah, he said, both the good and the bad are crunched. This is NOT punishment from Allah but may be merely a warning. Nothing would be left standing if Allah's punishment came.
There are still good people among you. I know they protest and they feel bad!
* This is only a preparation for the end, he concluded, leaving me almost in tears. The end, he said, will be like this:
* "When the earth is shaken to her (utmost) convulsion, and the earth throws up her burdens (from within), and human being cries (distressed), 'what ails her'? On that Day will she declare her tidings: for that thy Lord will have given her inspiration. On that Day will people proceed in groups sorted out, to be shown the deeds that they (had done). Then shall anyone who has done a tiny bit of good, see it! And anyone who has done a tiny bit of evil, shall see it." [The Qur'an 99:1-8]
Submitted by Shy from Darulislam Forum.